Parent Teacher Association
Hello and welcome to the Bangor Grammar School's PTA webpage. PTA Membership is open to parents of all boys attending the school.
We have had another very busy and successful year organizing events and continuing to raise funds for much needed (but non-budgetary) items for the school. Each year, the Parent Teacher Association sets itself a goal of providing assistance to the school, which will benefit as many pupils as possible. Over the last couple of years, we focused on providing a number of items in various departments, including:
- Maths Department, Literacy Initiative, Art Department, SENCO, Hockey, Parent Power Project, Music Department, English Department, Bridge Club, History Department, Horticultural Club.
This year we are planning to continue supporting the wide range of school activities and departments. We have however committed ourselves to help funding much needed replacement of the already aging projectors and white boards with new state of the art interactive touch boards. This will bring the school teaching facilities up to the 21st century technological standards benefiting all the BGS boys.
Even though we are in a relatively new school, we must remember that there are still likely to be many areas where the school may require some additional support. Therefore, the PTA, with the support of all parents, needs to be ready to help meet these needs as they develop.
The why and how
The Parent Teacher Association is helping to:
- Promote co-operation between Parents and Teaching Staff
- Help improve the amenities of Bangor Grammar School
- Advance the prestige of the School and to help maintain a high standard of Grammar School education
We achieve these goals by:
- Working directly with and supporting the Teaching Staff to identify areas of much needed support
- Providing funds to support the purchase of non-budgeted items
- Sponsorship of special ties for Service to the School
- Presenting the Award for Good Citizenship, which will continue to promote community support and involvement by the pupils of Bangor Grammar School
Our activities and events
Our Parent Teacher Association organizes a series of events throughout the academic year - Wine and Gin Tasting Events, Years 8 and 9 Discos (joint with Glenlola Collegiate School), a Quiz Night and 3 second-hand uniform sales.
In past few years we have also organized our much loved and very popular bi-annual Gala Ball at Clandeboye Lodge Hotel.
During the winter term 2018, we have organized:
- Second-hand uniform sale
- Year 8 Disco (Joint event with Glenlola Collegiate School)
- Wine and Cheese Tasting
During the spring and summer terms 2019, we will be organizing:
- Year 9 Disco (Joint event with Glenlola Collegiate School) in 8th February 2019
- First Aid Training in February/March 2019
- Table Quiz in March 2019
- Spring Car Wash in March 2019
- Gin Tasting in June 2019
- Two second-hand uniform collections & sales
Over the past years, these events have proved to be great social events, and long may that last.
These events are successful for a number of reasons - from parents and friends attending, donation of raffle prizes and the support from local businesses.
Therefore, the Parent Teacher Association would like to express its thanks to all the parents, friends and supporters that attended the events throughout the year.
In addition, we would also like to thank the following for helping to support the events in the year 2017/18:
- for the Wine Tasting event in both 2017 and 2018, we were supported by Neill Wines and the Kerry Group
- for the Gin Tasting event in 2017, we were supported by Neill Wines
We always need your ideas and support
The events held by the Parent Teacher Association are a great way to make contact with other parents of new boys, which will provide each of us with mutual support for your son’s journey through Bangor Grammar School. The interest that all of you have shown over the years is very much appreciated, as the Parent Teacher Association strives to create a community of friends.
The Committee can organize a host of events through the year, but it is only through the support of the community of parents and friends that we will all achieve our targets. Therefore, please continue to come along with your friends and families to our events, and please help to spread the word of the work that we do.
Everyone is welcome.
If you do feel throughout the years that you would like to take a more active interest and become a member of the committee, please contact us via email and come along to one of our meetings, where we guarantee a warm welcome.
The main aim of the Parent Teacher Association is to achieve their goals through a community of supporters. With this in mind, we would ask that you consider the best way for you to support the activities of the association. This support may be provided by:
- Becoming a committee member
- Supporting events by either helping to organize or attend events
- Donating raffle prizes
The Parent Teacher Association is always looking for new members with fresh ideas.
As a Committee, we meet on the first Monday evening of each month at 7.30pm. Yes, we will ask for some of your own time. However, by spreading the tasks, as we do, this will only be for a couple of hours per month.
As a supporter, we would ask that you become actively involved by attending our events.
Even if you find that you cannot attend on the evening, you can support the events by donating raffles prizes. These prizes help us to raise funds through selling raffle tickets.
Come along to the events and bring your friends – the events are not just for parents. Your support, whatever form that may take, will be gratefully received.
Should you wish to join the committee, help organize or attend events, or donate raffle prizes, then please contact us via: firstname.lastname@example.org
By supporting your son’s school’s Parent Teacher Association, you will be supporting your son’s school, and supporting your son.
Janet Scott Chair Parent Teacher Association